Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Man in the Yellow Hat

Okay..the hat wasn't really yellow but there was a man. Trying out a little user testing on my still work in progress website, I recruited my little sis to be my guinea pig. The question...how easy or difficult is it to navigate the site...or find something requested. Scavenger Hunt if you will.

Find the man on the bus I told her. She looked at the screen of my homepage and then back at me and at the page again. "Does this thing scroll up and down?"..."This is just the first page, girlie"..."oh, right." After that she clicked the handy dandy "enter" button I'd created and well...entered the site. The four main pages each had a link and she bypassed "home" and "mywriting" for "lifeatplay"...which yay is where the subheads for my photographs are...actually it's "myphotography." Once there she got a little stopped up on the negatives page. I didn't say pictures. I have it listed under Dodge&Burn. If you've studied photography at all, you have an idea what that means but I guess I left off a greater number of the population who didn't. Then again...most people woud just click to explain their way through and figure out subheads/links that way. Most of the others are self-explanatory and simple "contactme" and "myexercepts" among them. She found it easily enough after that...really just a minute or two.

I asked her what she thought and if she'd had a hard time navigating. She said..."You asked me to look for a man in a picture. You should've had a section on the main page for just pictures"......of course I argued with her...but I did ask her opinion, no? LOL

man on bus

No comments:

Post a Comment